Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Genieve Prescod's Passion for Fashion


She was among the 11 students who graduated from the University of T&T’s Caribbean Academy of Fashion Design on June 22. Genieve Prescod is a young woman with a passion for fashion.

Over the past four years, Prescod and the other students pursued studies in the Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree. At the graduation, each student was required to present a mini collection in which they unveiled six concepts before the large audience. The event was aptly titled Beyond Limits. Prescod’s collection was Tenebras Circum. She later spoke to Sunday Vibe and shared her passion, vision and mission for the local fashion industry.

Q: What or who made you study design?
A: I’ve always had an interest in artistic and creative fields of study. Of all the various creative fields, fashion design was the most appealing to me.

How would you describe your designs?
My designs are edgy and unique with a sophisticated touch, and attention to detail.

Where do you find your inspiration?
I find inspiration in everything, but I am mainly inspired by the Victorian-era fashion and Japanese street fashion, such as the “visual kei” and “lolita” styles.

Do you have a style/fashion icon?
Although I do not really look to any particular person as a style/fashion icon that I would emulate or draw inspiration from, I do admire the personal style of Amy Lee of Evanescence.

Are there designers that influence your style?
Seth Aaron Henderson and Alexander.

What is your approach to a collection?
Inspiration! Research! Brainstorm! When I am inspired by something, I research it thoroughly, collecting information and reference pictures. Then, using what I have learned, I envision a fashion story based on that inspiration and brainstorm various designs until I come up with the design elements I think suit the story best. Once I have found the elements I like best for that story, I then work towards designing a cohesive collection based on those elements to portray the story of my inspiration.

What are your favourite colours, colour combinations and textiles?
I always get teased about patriotism for this, but my absolute favourite colour combination is red, black and white. My favourite individual colours would be black, red, pink and purple. As for fabrics, I have an intense love for leather or anything resembling leather. I also fall easily in love with anything that has a houndstooth print, pattern or texture.

How do you define your personal sense of style?
My personal sense of style is somewhat gothic, but also fun and flirty. My style reflects the various sides of my personality, and I often dress to reflect my mood.

New to the business, what motivates you? Read more...
Check out New York Fashion Academy's 9th Annual Fashion Show on Fashion Glitter

No comments:

Post a Comment